YOUR NEXT STEP TO A PROMISING FUTURE
FREE student membership with RMA provides the resources you need to differentiate yourself, and position yourself, as a strong candidate to potential employers in the financial services industry.
By joining RMA for free as a student member, you can fully enjoy all the benefits of membership:
1. Build your network and find a mentor by attending meetings and events hosted by participating RMA chapters and getting face time with risk management professionals of all levels. Some chapters offer formal mentorship programs that can open doors to many opportunities in the financial services industry and perhaps result in a letter of recommendation. Words of praise from established industry professionals can speak volumes to potential employers.
2. Get practical experience through internship opportunities with financial institutions. An understanding of banking in the real world goes beyond classroom training and can better prepare you for working in the industry after graduation. With student membership you'll be able to explore a listing of bank internships. The experience you can gain as a bank intern can help you better understand what a career in banking is like.
3. Strengthen your resume by including your RMA membership and your active participation with your local chapter. Doing so makes you more attractive to employers and illustrates your real-world experience.
4. Apply for an RMA scholarship to assist with your educational endeavors. RMA is pleased to offer scholarships to students who are interested in working in the banking industry after graduation. The RMA Foundation is offering up to $200,000 a year in scholarships ranging from $2,000 to $5,000, provided each student maintains their free student membership with RMA.
5. Gain insight beyond the textbook through:
- The RMA Journal® online, our award-winning publication- also available on our mobile app.
- RMA's blog.
- Industry Study Packs (compilations of articles, by subject, that are useful for research papers).
- Regulatory updates and bulletin.
- Other resources helpful for projects and expanding your knowledge.
6. Get the latest industry trends and research information with free access (as long as you are a student member) to components of RMA University Online including eMentor, RMA's knowledge base and complete industry research and training tool. eMentor's Industry Reports will help you with your research projects. You will also have free access to the same tools that bankers use, including:
- Some of RMA's online courses.
- The Online Credit and Lending Dictionary.
- The RMA Body of Knowledge, a comprehensive text covering the fundamentals of credit risk analysis.
- The Fundamentals Exam so you can chart your growth and assess your credit and lending knowledge.
7. Learn about the day-to-day challenges and opportunities real bankers face through the RMA Xchange, an exclusive online community where members can engage in real-time discussions and share information. You can learn firsthand about the real issues bankers are facing today and how they manage them. You can also post your own questions to get information you need for research papers.
8. Differentiate yourself by earning the RMA Credit Essentials Certificate, an assessment of your credit skills upon completion of your university's commercial banking course curriculum. Should you choose to pursue and earn the RMA Credit Essentials Certificate you'll be demonstrating your comprehension of these skills. By passing this independent assessment, you will distinguish yourself from other candidates as you seek job opportunities.
9. Supplement your university education with RMA's free online courses that can help you prepare for the Credit Essentials Certificate. In addition, RMA's new webinar series, Banking 101 (free with your student membership), can help you learn about the industry and build a fundamental knowledge about banking. The series covers topics such as banking products and services as well as the regulatory system.
Your student membership will renew automatically until your graduation date. After graduation, we’ll contact you about renewing your membership as you begin the next stage of your career.
A candidate for membership must be a full-time student (not currently employed full time) and be enrolled within a major associated with risk management (banking, business, management, administration, finance, economics, or accounting). Once individuals graduate and become employed in the risk management industry, their membership will convert to the appropriate membership based on place of employment.
Ways to join:
Log in or register on the website by creating an account. Then complete the online application process.
Fax your application (PDF) to RMA at 215-446-4100.
Send your application (PDF) to:
RMA Member Services
1801 Market Street, Suite 300
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Contact Membership Department
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
Phone: 800-677-7621, press 1