Brian M. Goldwater is the Audit Director– Professional Practices & Data Analytics within M&T Bank’s Internal Audit Division. Brian has 19 years experience within Internal Audit and 21 years of experience within the financial services industry. As the Audit Director of Professional Practices, Brian’s responsibilities include oversight of IA’s audit methodology, Quality Assurance (QA) program, talent management, board and management reporting, regulatory management, expense management, and data analytics. Brian has presented at industry conferences on matters pertaining to internal audit quality and methodology.
- Oversees IA’s quality assurance program which includes a mix of internal and external quality reviews.
- In conjunction with the General Auditor, responsible for the establishment and ongoing maintenance of IA’s audit methodology.
- Maintains IA’s policies and procedures (the Audit Manual) to provide comprehensive guidance and the consistent application of audit methodology.
- Manages IA’s board and management reporting activities. This includes ongoing reporting to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, senior and executive management, boards of directors of subsidiary entities, and line management.
- Serves as a primary regulatory liaison to regulatory examining agencies with regards to IA.
- Oversees IA’s data analytics program and the technologies supporting IA.
- Oversees talent management activities including the maintenance of IA’s training program and ongoing performance management.
- In conjunction with the General Auditor, manages IA’s expense plan.
Prior to his role in Professional Practices, Brian managed audits in the Consumer, Commercial Banking, and Mortgage businesses. Beyond internal audit, Brian also has experience in consumer asset management.