Rich is the national leader for PwC’s Internal Audit, Compliance and Risk Services for the Financial Services industry. He has over 30 years of experience working with financial institutions and advises senior executives on solving complex risk management and internal control related issues. He specializes in providing internal audit and regulatory compliance testing services ranging from strategic performance reviews to directing a broad range of testing activities including outsourcing, co-sourcing, and policy development and implementation. Rich also has significant experience evaluating and improving an institution’s Enterprise-wide Risk Management (ERM) infrastructure including strategy, organization, policy, process and systems. He has managed risk management consulting, compliance testing, and auditing engagements for a broad range of financial institutions including commercial banks, investment banks, asset managers, insurance companies and treasury operations of large corporations.
- Directed internal audit and compliance testing services at a wide array of small and large financial institutions including global investment banks, hedge funds, US brokers-dealers, commercial banks and insurance companies. Conducted annual risk assessments, developed and executed annual plans, developed audit/testing methodologies and issue tracking approaches, monitored performance against plan and presented to executive management and board level committees.
- Directed quality assurance and strategic performance reviews and improved the performance of internal audit and compliance testing functions of various financial institutions including large domestic and foreign commercial and investment banks, and large insurance companies. Reviews included benchmarking internal audit and compliance testing functions against best practices, making recommendations for improvement and developing strategic plans for implementation of the desired state.
- Re-designed the risk assessment and audit planning process for a large global bank. Benchmarked practices at ten leading banks and worked collaboratively with the bank's Internal Audit Leadership Team and working groups to design a new audit universe, a top-down and bottoms-up risk assessment methodology, and a continuous business monitoring process.
- Performed reviews of and helped design and implement enterprise-wide risk management programs for a variety of large and small banks. Areas covered included overall governance and committee structures, roles and responsibilities, market risk, credit risk, liquidity risk, operational risk, risk-adjusted performance measurement, stress testing and risk reporting.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), New York
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM)
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
- Executive committee member in internal auditors division of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- MBA, Columbia University
- BBA Accounting, University of Notre Dame
Areas of Expertise
- Banking and Capital Market
- Internal Audit and Compliance and Operational Risk Testing Process Re-engineering
- Internal Audit Management and Execution
- Regulatory Compliance and Operational Risk Testing Execution
- Enterprise-wide Risk Management