360° Negotiation Skills for Bankers
360° Negotiation Skills for Bankers incorporates a variety of training approaches to help bankers build strong negotiating skills and transfer those skills back to the workplace. The interactive design of this course enables participants to experience and practice the most effective ways to negotiate with customers, dig deeper to uncover their true needs, cross-sell other bank services to strengthen the relationship, and sell the credit internally to the best advantage of the bank.
A minimum of one to two years of commercial banking experience is highly recommend. Prior experience with loan structuring is beneficial.
Who Will Benefit?
This course is designed for financial personnel to help them better negotiate both with their customers and internally. Participants could include bankers with various background, experience, and areas of expertise.
Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Explain the five-step negotiating process and apply it to customer and internal negotiations
- Identify the five negotiating styles and determine when they are appropriate to use in a customer negotiation
- Use active listening and questioning techniques to gain relevant information from customer conversations
- Use the four-step approach to identify negotiation alternatives that meet both the bank’s and the customer’s interest
- Distinguish between critical, negotiable, and insignificant elements of a negotiation
- Explain six effective techniques for presenting an offer
- Name and describe the characteristics of seven types of negotiating power
- Describe three strategies to positively influence others
- Use the negotiating process internally
- Identify strategies for dealing with a difficult negotiator
Participants will explore solutions to negotiating challenges that are both tangible and relevant to today’s banking environment. Through facilitated discussions, they will transform these solutions into specific strategies for improving their negotiating skills and reaching creative solutions that work for both the customer and the bank. The case study is about JS Manufacturing, Inc., a customer of the bank that has asked for a term loan to finance some capital equipment. The pre-course introduction includes a summary of the pertinent financial details. During the training session, groups are assigned either the role of the banker or the role customer and given role-specific information. Then the negotiation begins with each group working through a fivestep process to achieve the best outcome.