Problem Loan Workouts
Problem Loan Workouts teaches participants to develop and implement successful workout programs. The course material is presented in seven modules building on the “Five Stages of Problem Loan Resolution” presented in the introduction along with two case studies. Problem Loan Workouts is intended for loan officers and other credit professionals who need to understand the keys to minimize problem loans and how to deal with them once they occur.
Participants are expected to have a thorough knowledge of credit risk analysis, financial accounting, traditional financial statement analysis, and cash flow analysis.
Who Will Benefit?
Junior to mid-level commercial lenders, credit review and credit policy officers, and junior workout officers who need to know how to prevent problems and minimize losses.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Develop an effective workout program.
- Factor into the workout program the unique qualities associated with problem real estate loans.
- Understand various collection devices and bankruptcy applications.
Through a mix of discussion, large and small group activities, and case studies, participants are better prepared to apply the content learned when they return to their jobs. RMA's Problem Loan Workout course includes the following modules:
- Defining a Successful Workout Program addresses the major elements necessary for the successful workout of a problem loan. It introduces the fivestage process for problem loan resolution as the foundation of an effective workout.
- Recognition and Evaluation of the Problem Loan reviews the elements of problem loan recognition with emphasis on the causes of the difficulty and the resources to deal with it. The nine-step bank review process is used to reenforce the need for a thorough analysis in a successful workout endeavor.
- Implementing a Workout Program starts with understanding the resources available and moves to developing, implementing, and supporting (monitoring) an effective program.
- Other Considerations in the Workout addresses the issues of who should handle the workout, considerations in negotiating a workout agreement, and other pertinent issues.
- Real Estate Workout Issues considers the unique qualities of real estate that impact the workout of a problem loan.
- Other Collection Devices (Optional Module) provides a basic understanding of the post judgment process.
- Bankruptcy Overview covers key points in bankruptcy along with a discussion of four common forms of bankruptcy.